Are you clearing out your storage? Do you have an old computer, printer, or monitor? How about that VCR you never use anymore? Yes? Then, you may be looking for where to recycle electronics in Wilmington, NC.
It used to be that, if you lived in New Hanover County, you had to drive over the Cape Fear River and up US-421 to dispose of electronics. However, thanks to an initiative by local government, you can now drop off electronics to the HazWagon, a mobile collection unit, at 3 locations in New Hanover County:
- Monday: Ogden Park (near baseball fields) from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: Wrightsville Beach Municipal Complex from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday: Carolina Beach Mike Chappell Park (across from the tennis courts) from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (this location may change in the future)
The HazWagon actually recycles more than just electronics. Here’s everything they will take:
- Acids (bowl cleaners, driveway cleaners, etc.)
- Batteries – including alkaline, zinc-carbon, zinc-air, lithium, sealed lead-acid, and any type of rechargeable battery (NiMH, Ni-Cad, Li-Ion, etc.)
- Caustics (drain cleaners, lye, borax)
- CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes
- Cell phones (including chargers, batteries, and ear buds)
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL), Tubes and Bulbs from residential properties only (Maximum 8′ length on CFL tubes)
- Cooking Oil
- Electronics (“if it has an electrical cord or runs off of batteries, they’ll take it!”). NOTE: They will accept a maximum of ten (10) large electronic items (television sets, monitors, or CPUs) per week, per customer. We do NOT accept “stripped” televisions or computers. If you live within the city limits of Wilmington, you have the option to call 341-7875 to schedule a curbside pickup of your unwanted electronics.
- Holiday lights
- Fertilizers – solid or liquid
- Flares, road (No projectile/launched flares such as marine flares)
- Food Waste (residents can bring unpackaged food waste to the HazWagon or the landfill’s composter)
- Gel Fuels (like Sterno)
- Helium Tanks (small disposable types only)
- Herbicides / Fungicides (weed killer, ground clear)
- Household Cleaners (bleach, ammonia, tile/grout cleaners, glass cleaner, disinfectants, all-purpose cleaners, etc.)
- Mercury Thermostats and Thermometers
- Motor Oil and Oil Filters
- Paint – latex and oil-based (solidified paint can be disposed of in the trash and will not be accepted)
- Pesticides – solid or liquid
- Propane Tanks (20-lb. only)
- Sharps (needles)
- Smoke Detectors
- Solvents (degreasers, parts cleaners, paint thinners)
- Stains, Varnishes, and Sealers
Here is what the HazWagon will NOT take:
- Asbestos-containing materials – Contact Waste Industries’ Samson County Landfill at (910) 525-4132 for pricing and disposal options.
- Explosives & Ammunition – Contact the local Sheriff’s Office or Wilmington Police Department for proper disposal.
- Prescription Medications – Visit Public Health’s website for information on permanent drop box locations.
- Small Propane Tanks (camp stove size) – Propane tanks can also be exchanged for full tanks at convenient locations throughout New Hanover County.
- Regulated Medical Waste – Medical waste should be taken to the New Hanover County Household Hazardous Waste Facility and the New Hanover County landfill.
- “White Goods” (large appliances i.e. refrigerators, washing machines, freezers, etc.) – These must be taken directly to the New Hanover County landfill.
Looking for ways to recycle or dispose of other items? See the full list at the New Hanover County Environmental Management website.
Custom built-ins are a great way to add value and function to your home. If there’s an idea you’ve been throwing around in your head, now may be a good time to speak with a carpenter. Whether it’s shelving in the living room, a win...
Wilmington, NC, has a lot of great veterinary clinics but not all of them are open late for emergency situations. If your pet has an issue that requires urgent attention, below are two veterinary clinics that provide emergency care. East...
Are you looking for a nice upscale restaurant in Wilmington, NC, to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, promotion, or other special occasion? We’ve got you covered! Below are some of the very best. 1. Port City Chop House Chop House is ...
While looking for homes for sale in New Hanover County, you’ll notice there are a variety of areas mentioned that aren’t a community or city. If you aren’t a resident, it can be confusing. So, here’s a brief rundown of where each...